4.21.2010

You Cannot Miss This: Petri dish art

Today, while aimlessly browsing one of my favorite design blogs colourlovers.com, I found a great post about petri dish art.

I've never been much of a science kind-of-girl, but had my lab classes involved these dishes, I may have actually enjoyed them (and gotten a better grade.)

A large part of why I am in design in the first place is because of my appreciation for the art.  I am driven by our ability, as designers, to beautify the world - even if only in the smallest of ways.  Klari Reis, the artist responsible for these beautiful art pieces, does an incredible job at making something that is normally overlooked, noticeable (to say the least.)

To summarize the original article, which can be found here, Reis hand paints plexiglass petri dishes and uses careful techniques in order to most accurately represent what is typically seen when looking through a microscope.

If nothing else, Reis reinforces the concept of thinking outside of the box, and serves as yet another reminder that all ideas can be made into beautiful ideas and to never, never discard any of them.

- Cassie

All photos credited to Klari Reis

No comments:

Post a Comment