2.03.2010

In Response To: Your mind & mine

This class revolves around ideas. For each task, we are given the same central theme, and are then expected to create.

Create, create, create.  

And while this may seem pretty standard, I can't help but wonder how not one of our designs ever seems to come anywhere close to another. After all, for the most part, we hear the same things, and see the same things, yet nothing that we do is ever really the same.

For this recent Spring Preview assignment, for example, Kelly's cover design featured a rain boot, while Jessi's had a playful groundhog.  Obviously no resemblance there.  And as big of a role that flowers and nature play in Spring, none of the flowers, or rain for that matter, could be mistaken for another. All of my classmates, including myself, went in very different directions in terms of how to create Spring on a magazine cover. Sure, there were similar objects, but the visual presentation was always different.

The point? I suppose it's in support of the concept that there are a million possibilities for any one idea. Whereas I may not have bought into it before this course, I am now convinced.  And it's encouraging, especially as we take on this next task:

We are to design a logo for a country music star on-the-rise.  And while country music isn't really my "thing," I can appreciate the art, as well as this assignment.  It also doesn't hurt that after our class' "conference call" with her yesterday afternoon (aka, us sitting in a classroom staring at a speaker box while listening to her make her way through Hollywood traffic), I found myself relating to a lot about her personality. Now, with three pages of scribbled notes all about this artist to scan for ideas, and the encouraged mindset of limitless possibilities, I am eager to begin drafting the 20 different options for this logo.

...That's right, each of us are to design 20.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

- Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment