2.10.2010

Critique: Rawrrr...my first feature

The first time I read the feature story that I was to design, I couldn't help but ignore the fact that it was about mountain lions. Instead, the tone of the story lead my scattered brain to exaggeratted fables... and trashy tabloids. And I mean that it the nicest of ways, I swear.

It wasn't that the story was necessarily poorly written or anything - it was actually really good. Instead,  it simply had a very distinct "Bigfoot-esque" tone.  Eventually, as hard as I tried to divert those initial thoughts (for the sake of generating a wider range of ideas), when it came down to finally prescribing a concept for the design, I had to do what I was thinking of all along. 




There are a few things that are different than what will run in tomorrow's magazine, but for the most part, this is it... and I love it. I worked for a long time on making it as close to the concept as possible, and I think it makes sense.  I also really appreciate the help that Aimee provided to me on this one.  Not only was there a lot of encouragement (which I needed) to run with the tabloid idea, but also great suggestions that I think only enhanced the final result. (I'll post the updated version as soon as I can.)

In the future, I want to continue on strengthening my ability to produce content-driven work, because in the end, it's what I am always the most proud of. 

- Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment