2.18.2010

Critique: Short Talk & Medieval fun fun fun

This past week was my first department design, and honestly, it was a lot more difficult than I had expected.

As a front-of-book department, there are a lot of ads and reoccurring sections that go into the pages.  That said, with all ad space accounted for, I was left only one page for a primary with a sidebar, a secondary and photos for both.  This caused serious issues.

First of all, the secondary, the chili cook-off story, didn't take place until Saturday, and the quick turn-around was, well... not so quick.  Another problem was that the primary was a lot longer than expected, as well as its accompanying sidebar.

That said, with the help of Elise, we were able to make it work.  Really, when it comes down to department pages, there will always be the chance of spacial issues; thankfully, I learned early enough in the semester that the only way to solve those problems is to problem solve and think logically about the situation.  Rather than stressing out about missing images and text, it's always best to rationalize and reevaluate.  And after five hours sitting in the VOX office on Valentines Day, the lesson was well learned.

(I will post the final result of that department page shortly!)

On a different note, I am currently working on the three cover concepts for the medieval warriors story, and wow, this story is strange... in the best way possible. Here's a video clip for a better sense of where I'm coming from.
(Note: These are not the people from the story I'm working with, just the same organization!)


I mean, because it's about this foreign world to me, I find myself getting so distracted by everything I read/see about them.  Still, it's an awesome story to be thinking conceptually about, and I'm really excited about the possibilities.  Of course, due to the nature of this class, I won't post those ideas until after I present them tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment