2.10.2010

In Response to: Just my type

Tricky play on words, I know. So in order to clarify, this is a response to the movie we watched in class yesterday: Helvetica.

Based solely on the font itself, Helvetica gives the history of Helvetica, as well as its present and the future.

To be honest, I've never been one to care much about font.  At least not in any sort of intellectual way.  Instead, I liked what was pretty and looked good on paper, and nothing else really came into consideration.  Of course, a lot changed once Jan came into my life and I was forced to re-evaluate the choices I was making... but I don't think the intensity of typography really settled into my head until I watched this movie.

And aside from that previous paragraph being a bit dramatic, it's true.  After the movie, I went through my magazine collection and design pages online, and realized a whole new world that I love... and it's full of letters.

In this discovery, I know that I will now have a much better appreciation, and deeper consideration, for the typography I see and use. It's a deeper thought process than before, and I'm really excited about it... in a really geeky kind of way.

On a final note... which team did I side with in the movie: Team Helvetica or Team-anything-but? That's easy:

I'm "Anything but."

And I understand appreciating the clarity that Helvetica provides, but let's be honest: I'm not a suit and tie kind-of-girl.  I don't like straight-edged, and I definitely reject all things formulated, expected and routine.

For me, Helvetica is a prime example of over-simplifying life. Nothing needs to be that easy - as easy as the Team-H people in the movie praise the type for being.  "Easy" is unrewarding and stupefies.

Give me an original thought instead - regardless of whether it is hand-drawn, slightly illegible or not. If it is able to completely express an emotion, idea or concept... it's better than any clean, unexpressive "thought" any day.

-Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment