3.03.2010

In Response To: Prototype hype

My prototype experience was a great learning opp, but a little disheartening nonetheless.

My group's magazine, Boost, is geared toward those interested in home investments and making their homes as sellable as possible, regardless of whether or not they intend to put it on the market.  For this particular assignment and portion of the project, we were to create prototypes for the cover, a department and a feature.

I quickly realized that the research & brainstorming process was far more taxing than the actual execution, (which was still no cake-walk... at all.)  But really, I spent a lot of time trying to make sure that I understood everything about the magazine and was representing the ideas of my publishing teammates as much as possible.  I also wanted to make sure that every single aspect of my prototypes done in the actual execution phase was done with purpose, which was one of the most important things to me.  In the end, after multiple phone calls made home to my parents (who are currently selling their home) and a million discarded scratch papers, (which are currently scattered under my bed), I came up with what I felt was a solid rendition of what Boost should look like:
BOOST, cover prototype
BOOST, department prototype
BOOST, feature prototype

In my opinion, you could find this magazine on the newsstand, and it could hold its own.  It grabs attention, is fresh and innovative, and articulates the mission of BOOST. Unfortunately, my concept was not picked for the project.  Yes, this was disheartening for me, as I really did put a lot of time & effort into every aspect.

That said, it was very hard to be bitter, especially with my fellow design teammates in mind.  Both Stef and Cara presented amazing prototypes, and Cara's was chosen as our team's main concept.  So, while I was upset that mine wasn't picked (boo-hoo, right?), I am excited to work with hers - it's fresh, clean and does represent our magazine fully, just in a very different way that I had imagined.

All in all, the lesson was learned: There will always be a million different ways to present one single idea, and it all comes down to what people prefer for that particular situation.  I can appreciate that - especially when Cara did such a fabulous job. Our group has really exciting potential, and I cannot wait to get back to work on this project.

7 comments:

  1. Cassie, your feature design makes me want to grow up and decorate a real kitchen. I love the color scheme you chose; it accents the picture well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie,

    I'm sorry about your disappointment, I can understand that. I really don't think you should feel bad at all because your designs are BEAUTIFUL! Props to your designs they will make great portfolio pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your prototype designs, they are amazing and I think you did a good job of getting in everything your team wanted(I sat in on y'alls pitch so I got to hear).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your prototype was awesome and can't wait to see how you influence Cara's design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so lucky to work with you on Boost. I can see you current design in mags that run right now, and you were terribly sick while you put them together...amazing! You have incredible talent and an eye for design that could be printed right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your sadness, I was the same way. I think by far your logo looks like an actual magazine logo more than anyone else's in the class (please nobody else take offense to this). It has so much potential for the information in the circle and with the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved your cover prototypes. I think you captured the feel of a Meredith publication perfectly in the typefaces you chose and the way you made the sell lines work with the photo.

    ReplyDelete