3.10.2010

Critique: Global J. (& yep, more logos)

This past week, I designed a feature for Global Journalist magazine.  It was a great experience, mostly because it gave me the opportunity to work for a publication that has an extremely structured format.  No, I didn't get the chance to "spread my wings" as much as I would have liked to, but no harm done.

Actually, I'm very happy with the way the design turned out (considering the constricting guidelines). I had a pretty decent idea of the format prior to beginning my design, so from the start, I developed my ideas/concepts within those limits.  In the end, the art director changed very little, and my original design is extremely close to the final draft.

The story is about a huge problem in Mexico: Journalists are going missing (most murdered) because of the content of the press, and are being forced to choose between self-censorship or death.  I wanted to show this "lose/lose" situation in my design - how although it is a very complicated situation, the options given to journalist are quite clear; for them, it's all very black or white.


We also had to present/turn in five fully executed logos in class yesterday. These logos were chosen from the 20 that we presented last Tuesday, and my choices were largely influenced by both Jan and my classmates' critiques. And without meaning to, I ended up executing six designs (I miscounted, of course.)
For a couple, I changed very little; but for the rest, they hardly resemble the original design. And I'm okay with that. I like three of them very much, but I'll let you make up your own mind and keep that to myself! :)

- Cassie

1 comment:

  1. I like the black and white, with a little bit of red in your Global Journalist pieces. That opening spread is a great portfolio piece.

    ReplyDelete